Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/9] Move runnable code (tests) from Documentation to selftests

From: Jani Nikula <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2016 12:20:01 +0300

On Sat, 10 Sep 2016, Jonathan Corbet <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Fri,  9 Sep 2016 16:22:41 -0600
> Shuah Khan <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> Move runnable code (tests) from Documentation to selftests and update
>> Makefiles to work under selftests.
>> 
>> Jon Corbet and I discussed this in an email thread and as per that
>> discussion, this patch series moves all the tests that are under the
>> Documentation directory to selftests. There is more runnable code in
>> the form of examples and utils and that is going to be another patch
>> series. I moved just the tests and left the documentation files as is.
>
> I'm fine with the idea, but it looks like a couple of tweaks are needed,
> in particular to avoid leaving behind dangling references in
> Documentation/Makefile that cause build errors.
>
> I think the individual patches probably need a wider CC list as well.
> I'd use the get_maintainer script (or git) to see who has taken an
> interest in the individual tests and make sure they are aware of the
> move.

FWIW, I'm in favor of moving *all* the code away from Documentation, not
just tests. Essentially removing the CONFIG_BUILD_DOCSRC config option,
and reserving Documentation/Makefile for documentation build. After this
series, some of the remaining code belongs under samples, some under
tools.

We could make it possible to include the code samples from samples into
the Sphinx built documentation.

BR,
Jani.

-- 
Jani Nikula, Intel Open Source Technology Center