Subject: Re: [PATCHv4] net: Add batman-adv meshing protocol

From: Andi Kleen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 09:14:29 +0200

Sven Eckelmann <[email-masked]> writes:

> B.A.T.M.A.N. (better approach to mobile ad-hoc networking) is a routing
> protocol for multi-hop ad-hoc mesh networks. The networks may be wired or
> wireless. See http://www.open-mesh.org/ for more information and user space
> tools.

It seems rather unusual to have the complete routing protocol in
kernel. And this is a lot of code. The normal way to do such things is
to have the routing policy etc. in a user daemon and only let the kernel
provide some services to this. 

Could you elaborate a bit why this approach was not chosen?

I assume if it needs a switch it could have a switching "hot path" layer
in kernel and the policy somewhere else.

You write

> +Batman advanced was implemented as a Linux kernel driver  to  re-
> +duce the overhead to a minimum. It does not depend on any (other)

What overhead exactly?

-Andi

-- 
[email-masked] -- Speaking for myself only.