Subject: Re: [PATCH] Cleanup usbnet_probe() return value handling

From: Peter Korsgaard <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 00:46:42 +0200

>>>>> "David" == David Brownell <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi,

 David> I'd rather see the later test updated to match this one.
 David> (Good catch!)

 David> The return convention is "negative means error".  There's
 David> code in USB which has multiple nonnegative success codes.

Ok, updated patch does that instead.

 David> In particular usb_control_msg(), which would very naturally
 David> used as the body of a bind() method, returns negative or
 David> the number of bytes transferred.

Yeah, that was the original problem in my dm9601 driver.

usbnet_probe() handles a positive return value from the driver bind()
function as success, but will later only setup the status handler if the
return value was zero, leading to confusion. Patch adjusts this to accept
positive values as success in both checks.

Signed-off-by: Peter Korsgaard <[email-masked]>
---
 drivers/net/usb/usbnet.c |    2 +-
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)

Index: linux-2.6.22-rc7/drivers/net/usb/usbnet.c
===================================================================
--- linux-2.6.22-rc7.orig/drivers/net/usb/usbnet.c
+++ linux-2.6.22-rc7/drivers/net/usb/usbnet.c
@@ -1208,7 +1208,7 @@
 			status = 0;
 
 	}
-	if (status == 0 && dev->status)
+	if (status >= 0 && dev->status)
 		status = init_status (dev, udev);
 	if (status < 0)
 		goto out3;

-- 
Bye, Peter Korsgaard