Subject: Re: [PATCH] e100_shutdown: netif_poll_disable hang

From: Damien Wyart <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 19:41:15 +0200

> > > My machine annoyingly hangs while rebooting. I tracked it down to
> > > e100-fix-reboot-f-with-netconsole-enabled.patch in 2.6.18-rc2-mm2
> > > I review the changes and it seemed to be calling
> > > netif_poll_disable one too many time. Once in e100_down(), and
> > > again in e100_shutdown().
> > > The second one in e100_shutdown() caused the hang. So this patch
> > > removes it.

* Auke Kok <[email-masked]> [061020 23:09]:
> it doesn't even do harm to netif_poll_disable() twice as far as I can
> see, as it merely calls test_and_set_bit(), which will instantly
> succeed on the first attempt if the bit was already set.

> did this change actually fix it for you? I'm wondering if the
> netif_carrier_off might not be the culprit here...

I can confirm the proposed original change of D. Walker fixed the
problem for me. I did not test the change you proposed as a followup.

-- 
Damien Wyart