Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 net-next 6/6] selftests: forwarding: add dynamic FDB test

From: Hans Schultz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 14:43:11 +0200

On Fri, Mar 31, 2023 at 12:37, Vladimir Oltean <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> So, by running the command I posted in the earlier email, you actually
> run it on the physical DSA user port interfaces, and it should pass
> there too.

Okay, that sounds like a good idea which I have not done before. I am
seeing how I can install Debian in an Qemu or VMWare setup to be able to
test that way.

> This is based on the equivalency principle between the
> software and the hardware data paths that I was talking about.
>
> If you're actively and repeatedly making an effort to work with your eyes
> closed, and then build strawmen around the fact that you don't see, then
> you're not going to get very friendly reactions from people, me included,
> who explain things to you that pertain to your due diligence. This is
> because these people know the things that they're explaining to you out
> of their own due diligence, and, as a result, are not easily fooled by
> your childish excuses.

I am not coming with excuses here, and certainly not childish ones at
that either. I am just pointing out that on my device the tests don't
run well because of memory shortage and my reasoning why I think it is
so.
I will as long as the system is as it is with these selftests, just run
single subtests at a time on target, but if I have new phy problems like
the one you have seen I have had before, then testing on target becomes
off limits.