Subject: Re: [PATCH RFC net-next] virtio_net: Relax queue requirement for using XDP

From: Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2020 17:21:00 +0100

David Ahern <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 2/26/20 1:34 AM, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:
>>>
>>> OK so basically there would be commands to configure which TX queue is
>>> used by XDP. With enough resources default is to use dedicated queues.
>>> With not enough resources default is to fail binding xdp program
>>> unless queues are specified. Does this sound reasonable?
>> 
>> Yeah, that was the idea. See this talk from LPC last year for more
>> details: https://linuxplumbersconf.org/event/4/contributions/462/
>
>  Hopefully such a design is only required for a program doing a Tx path
> (XDP_TX or XDP_REDIRECT). i.e., a program just doing basic ACL, NAT, or
> even encap, decap, should not have to do anything with Tx queues to load
> and run the program.

No but they may want to configure RX queues (for CPU affinity, etc).
Ideally we'd want both (TX and RX) to be configurable through the same
interface.

-Toke