Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/2 v5] usbnet: allow status interrupt URB to always be active

From: Bjørn Mork <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 10:06:50 +0200

Oliver Neukum <[email-masked]> writes:
> On Thursday 11 April 2013 10:31:31 Ming Lei wrote:
>  
>> 'mem_flags' isn't needed any more since we can apply allocation
>> of GFP_NOIO automatically in resume path now, and you can always
>> use GFP_KERNEL safely. Considered that it is a API, please don't
>> introduce it.
>
> The automatic system goes a long way, but there are corner cases, for example
> work queues, which still need mem_flags.

My immediate thought was that someone also might want to use this new
API from atomic context, e.g. calling it directly from an URB callback.
But that is of course not possible taking a mutex.  Could the lock
preventing interrupt_count maybe be a spinlock instead?  Or am I on the
completely wrong track here?

In any case, I don't see the point unnecessarily limiting the API by
dropping the memflags.  What possible problem would that solve?

Bjørn