Subject: Re: [RFC, PATCH 2.6.29.2] Ethernet V2.0 Configuration Testing Protocol, revision 20090428

From: Andi Kleen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 11:29:55 +0200

Mark Smith <[email-masked]> writes:
> +
> +4. Security
> +
> +ECTP was designed in the early 1980s, when protocol security was less of
> +a concern than it is now. Consequently, there are some features of the
> +protocol which could be abused for nefarious purposes. By default, this
> +implementation attempts to avoid participating in them. These features
> +could be useful for some test cases thought, so they can be enabled if
> +required.

I think security would need quite a bit more discussion. Opening new
DOS this way sounds quite worrying, especially since this is a
extremly obscure protocol that likely most admins don't know much
about.

Is this suspencible to ping to broadcast flood replication for example?

Safest would probably be default to off.

-Andi

-- 
[email-masked] -- Speaking for myself only.