Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 3/3] net: dsa: mv88e6xxx: make global2 code optional

From: Vivien Didelot <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2016 13:13:21 -0400

Hi Andrew,

Andrew Lunn <[email-masked]> writes:

>> What do you think?
>
> I think the probe() needs to fail with a very obvious error message
> saying you need to recompile your kernel with option XYZ enabled in
> order to support this switch, when the optional stuff is not
> optional...

I agree. Does the following snippet looks OK?

    #ifndef CONFIG_NET_DSA_MV88E6XXX_GLOBAL2
            if (mv88e6xxx_has(chip, MV88E6XXX_FLAG_GLOBAL2)) {
                    dev_err(chip->dev, "Missing support for Global 2 registers\n");
                    return -EOPNOTSUPP;
            }
    #endif /* CONFIG_NET_DSA_MV88E6XXX_GLOBAL2 */

Thanks,

        Vivien