Subject: Re: iproute2: potential upgrade regression with 58a3e827

From: [email-masked] (Eric W. Biederman)
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2013 14:42:20 -0800

Chris J Arges <[email-masked]> writes:

> Fair enough. I really wanted to get a feel if this seemed like an actual
> bug, or rather it's behaving like we'd expect. I don't mind writing
> code, but I want to know if I'm hunting a bug, or adding a feature.

Making it ip netns add work reliably inside of ip netns exec and
handling all of the permutations is adding a feature.

Understanding why ip netns exec is failing in your specific case sounds
like there may be a missing error message.  Clearly you get into a
context where /var/run/netns/netns_old is no the bind mount we would
expect it to be.

I saw nothing that should unmake /var/run/netns/nnetns_old  as a mount
point.  So something strange is going on.

So you might want to go through and inspect to see what is happening.
Perhaps there is a missing error message somewhere.

Without understanding why that mountpoint fails to exist I can't say if
it is a real bug or if it just something weird caused by using an ip
netns exec it was not designed to be used and is known not to be 100%
robust in.

Eric