Subject: Re: [bisected] Weird sysctl regression

From: [email-masked] (Arnaud Ebalard)
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 18:03:33 +0200

Hi,

Al Viro <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 09:18:48AM +0200, Arnaud Ebalard wrote:
>> Hi,
>> 
>> While updating some IPv6-related patches for net-2.6, I hit the
>> following issue on a test laptop (G4-based 12" powerbook). After
>> compiling current net-2.6 kernel on another ppc device (G4-based 15"
>> powerbook), I have the same issue. Note that:
>> 
>> - it never shows up on any of the x86 devices I have.
>> - hardware of both ppc devices are similar (bcm4306, sungem, ...)
>>   i.e. they do not only have endianness in common (and i had no sparc
>>   device to test if it is an endianness issue or a coincidence)
>  
> Endianness is very unlikely to be the cause of that.

Hence the note on hardware similarities of both device outside
endianness. 

> Order of initialization, OTOH... 

+1

> Can you reproduce it on mainline kernel

All Linux 2.6.26 (initial and stable releases) are not affected. I am
currently running 2.6.26.3.

> or bisect between the mainline and net-2.6 if mainline is OK?

As I wrote in my previous email, bisecting net-2.6 lead me to 
9043476f726802f4b00c96d0c4f418dde48d1304 ([PATCH] sanitize proc_sysctl)
which is in the middle of a set of fs/sysctl related patches. 

I think I am missing the point on what you want me to do. Can you
clarify? 

Thanks for your work.

Cheers,

a+