Subject: Closing down the wireless trees for a summer break?

From: Kalle Valo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 17:22:47 +0300

Me and Johannes are planning to take a longer break from upstream this
summer. To keep things simple my suggestion is that we would official
close wireless and wireless-next trees from June 23rd to August 14th
(approximately).

During that time urgent fixes would need go directly to the net tree.
Patches can keep flowing to the wireless list but the the net
maintainers will follow the list and they'll just apply them to the
net tree directly.

The plan here is that -next patches would have to wait for
wireless-next to open. Luckily the merge window for v6.6 most likely
opens beginning of September[1] so after our break we would have few
weeks to get -next patches ready for v6.6.

And the v6.5 -next patches should be ready by Monday June 19th so that we
have enough time to get them into the tree before we close the trees.

What do people think, would this work? This is the first time we are
doing this so we would like to hear any comments about this, both
negative and positive. You can also reply to me and Johannes privately,
if that's easier.

Kalle

[1] https://phb-crystal-ball.sipsolutions.net/

-- 
https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-wireless/list/

https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/developers/documentation/submittingpatches