Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH v1 00/19] rtw88: Add SDIO support

From: Kalle Valo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2023 18:01:05 +0200

(Jakub, a question for you below)

Martin Blumenstingl <[email-masked]> writes:

> Recently the rtw88 driver has gained locking support for the "slow" bus
> types (USB, SDIO) as part of USB support. Thanks to everyone who helped
> make this happen!
>
> Based on the USB work (especially the locking part and various
> bugfixes) this series adds support for SDIO based cards. It's the
> result of a collaboration between Jernej and myself. Neither of us has
> access to the rtw88 datasheets. All of our work is based on studying
> the RTL8822BS and RTL8822CS vendor drivers and trial and error.
>
> Jernej and myself have tested this with RTL8822BS and RTL8822CS cards.
> Other users have confirmed that RTL8821CS support is working as well.
> RTL8723DS may also work (we tried our best to handle rtw_chip_wcpu_11n
> where needed) but has not been tested at this point.

Very nice, good work.

Our recommendation is to have maximum of 10-12 patches per patchset to
make it easier for us maintainers, any chance to split the patchset into
two? For example, get the easy preparation patches into wireless-next
first and later submit the actual SDIO support.

[...]

> Why is this an RFC?

[...]

> - My understanding is that there's a discussion about the rtw88 Kconfig
>   symbols. We're adding four new ones within this series. It's not
>   clear to me what the conclusion is on this topic though.

Yeah, there were no conclusions about that. Jakub, do you have any
opinions? For example, do we keep per device Kconfig options (eg.
CONFIG_RTW88_8822BS, RTW88_8822CS and so on) or should we have only one
more bus level option (eg. CONFIG_RTW88_SDIO)? rtw88 now uses the former
and IIRC so does mt76. ath10k/ath11k/ath12k again use the latter :)

-- 
https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-wireless/list/

https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/developers/documentation/submittingpatches