Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 2/7] net: dsa: Add DSA driver for Hirschmann Hellcreek switches

From: Kurt Kanzenbach <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2020 07:59:12 +0200

On Tue Sep 01 2020, David Miller wrote:
> From: Richard Cochran <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2020 09:36:10 -0700
>
>> On Tue, Sep 01, 2020 at 05:59:45PM +0200, Andrew Lunn wrote:
>>> Maybe, at the moment, RTNL is keeping things atomic. But that is
>>> because there is no HWMON, or MDIO bus. Those sort of operations don't
>>> take the RTNL, and so would be an issue. I've also never audited the
>>> network stack to check RTNL really is held at all the network stack
>>> entry points to a DSA driver. It would be an interesting excesses to
>>> scatter some ASSERT_RTNL() in a DSA driver and see what happens.
>> 
>> Device drivers really aught to protect their state and their devices'
>> state from concurrent access.
>
> Completely agreed.

OK. So I'll keep the locking as is.

Since I have to have to prepare another version due to the compiler
warnings, I'll wait a bit for more comments and send the next version
after.

Thanks,
Kurt