Subject: Re: [PATCH] unix: avoid use-after-free in ep_remove_wait_queue

From: Rainer Weikusat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 16:12:27 +0000

Hannes Frederic Sowa <[email-masked]> writes:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2015, at 22:55, Rainer Weikusat wrote:
>> An AF_UNIX datagram socket being the client in an n:1 association with
>> some server socket is only allowed to send messages to the server if the
>> receive queue of this socket contains at most sk_max_ack_backlog
>> datagrams.

[...]

> This whole patch seems pretty complicated to me.
>
> Can't we just remove the unix_recvq_full checks alltogether and unify
> unix_dgram_poll with unix_poll?
>
> If we want to be cautious we could simply make unix_max_dgram_qlen limit
> the number of skbs which are in flight from a sending socket. The skb
> destructor can then decrement this. This seems much simpler.
>
> Would this work?

In the way this is intended to work, cf

http://marc.info/?t=115627606000002&r=1&w=2

only if the limit would also apply to sockets which didn't sent anything
so far. Which means it'll end up in the exact same situation as before:
Sending something using a certain socket may not be possible because of
data sent by other sockets, so either, code trying to send using this
sockets ends up busy-waiting for "space again available" despite it's
trying to use select/ poll/ epolll/ $whatnot to get notified of this
condition and sleep until then or this notification needs to be
propagated to sleeping threads which didn't get to send anything yet.