Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v4 03/13] net: wwan: t7xx: Add core components

From: Ilpo Järvinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 19:36:16 +0200 (EET)

On Tue, 25 Jan 2022, Martinez, Ricardo wrote:

> On 1/24/2022 6:51 AM, Ilpo Järvinen wrote:
> > On Thu, 13 Jan 2022, Ricardo Martinez wrote:

> > > +int t7xx_fsm_append_cmd(struct t7xx_fsm_ctl *ctl, enum t7xx_fsm_cmd_state
> > > cmd_id, unsigned int flag)
> > No callsite in this patch seems to care about the error code, is it ok?
> 
> Even though there's no recovery path (like retry) for t7xx_fsm_append_cmd()
> failures, it makes sense to
> 
> propagate the error instead of ignoring it, will add that in the next version.
> 
> > E.g.:
> > > +int t7xx_md_init(struct t7xx_pci_dev *t7xx_dev)
> > > +{
> > > ...
> > If this returns an error, does it mean init/probe stalls? Or is there
> > some backup to restart?
> An error here will cause probe to fail, there's no recovery path for this.

Just to clarify, I think you misunderstood what I meant as you cut the 
critical line out in the reply. ...I meant heare that if 
t7xx_fsm_append_cmd returns an error, it will not make the probe to fail 
but lead to probe stalling (which propagating the error you intend to do 
will nicely address).

-- 
 i.