Subject: Re: [net-next,1/2] add iovnl netlink support

From: Scott Feldman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 17:01:07 -0700

On 4/21/10 3:18 PM, "Chris Wright" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> The set_mac_vlan that Scott's patch adds seems to implement 1a), as far
>> as I can tell. Interestingly, this is not actually implemented in
>> the enic driver in patch 2/2. So if we all agree that this is out of the
>> scope of iovnl, let's just remove it from the interface and find another
>> way for it (ethtool, iplink, ..., as listed above).
> 
> Scott, any objection?  At least a way to keep moving forward on the port
> profile bit.

Yes, that's fine with me, port-profile bit is the most important part.
 
>> Note that we still need to pass the MAC address and VLAN ID (or a list
>> of these) to the external switch, my point is just that this should be
>> separate from enforcing it in the hypervisor.
> 
> Yup, we should focus on reconciling the diff of enic vs vpd port profile
> needs.

-scott