Subject: [PATCH net-next v2 1/6] net: stmmac: remove eee_enabled/eee_active in stmmac_ethtool_op_get_eee()

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2024 12:13:02 +0000

stmmac_ethtool_op_get_eee() sets both eee_enabled and eee_active, and
then goes on to call phylink_ethtool_get_eee().

phylink_ethtool_get_eee() will return -EOPNOTSUPP if there is no PHY
present, otherwise calling phy_ethtool_get_eee() which in turn will call
genphy_c45_ethtool_get_eee().

genphy_c45_ethtool_get_eee() will overwrite eee_enabled and eee_active
with its own interpretation from the PHYs settings and negotiation
result.

Thus, when there is no PHY, stmmac_ethtool_op_get_eee() will fail with
-EOPNOTSUPP, meaning eee_enabled and eee_active will not be returned to
userspace. When there is a PHY, eee_enabled and eee_active will be
overwritten by phylib, making the setting of these members in
stmmac_ethtool_op_get_eee() entirely unnecessary.

Remove this code, thus simplifying stmmac_ethtool_op_get_eee().

Reviewed-by: Andrew Lunn <[email-masked]>
Reviewed-by: Florian Fainelli <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Russell King (Oracle) <[email-masked]>
---
 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/stmmac_ethtool.c | 2 --
 1 file changed, 2 deletions(-)

diff --git a/drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/stmmac_ethtool.c b/drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/stmmac_ethtool.c
index bbecb3b89535..411c3ac8cb17 100644
--- a/drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/stmmac_ethtool.c
+++ b/drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/stmmac_ethtool.c
@@ -859,8 +859,6 @@ static int stmmac_ethtool_op_get_eee(struct net_device *dev,
 	if (!priv->dma_cap.eee)
 		return -EOPNOTSUPP;
 
-	edata->eee_enabled = priv->eee_enabled;
-	edata->eee_active = priv->eee_active;
 	edata->tx_lpi_timer = priv->tx_lpi_timer;
 	edata->tx_lpi_enabled = priv->tx_lpi_enabled;
 
-- 
2.30.2