Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v2 0/4] net: phy: EEE fixes

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 09:36:35 +0000

On Tue, Feb 21, 2023 at 06:03:30AM +0100, Oleksij Rempel wrote:
> changes v2:
> - restore previous ethtool set logic for the case where advertisements
>   are not provided by user space.

I don't think the _kernel_ should be doing this - this introduces a
different behaviour to the kernel. As I already said, setting the
default advertisement in the case of ethtool -s is done by userspace
not by the kernel.

In fact, the kernel explicitly rejects an attempt to have autoneg
enabled with a zero advertising mask:

        linkmode_copy(advertising, cmd->link_modes.advertising);
        linkmode_and(advertising, advertising, phydev->supported);
        if (autoneg == AUTONEG_ENABLE && linkmode_empty(advertising))
                return -EINVAL;

and I think we should have a uniform behaviour with the same API,
rather than different behaviours, as that becomes quite messy.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 40Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!