Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next] auxiliary: Implement refcounting

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 14:02:02 +0100

Oh, one more fun thing:

On Thu, Feb 16, 2023 at 02:42:41PM +0200, Leon Romanovsky wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2023 at 01:16:21PM +0100, Temerkhanov, Sergey wrote:
> >  struct auxiliary_device {
> >  	struct device dev;
> > +	refcount_t refcnt;
> >  	const char *name;
> > +	struct wait_queue_head wq_head;
> >  	u32 id;

Sergey, you are adding an additional reference count to a structure that
is already properly reference counted!  So you are imposing 2 different
counts and lifecycles on a single tiny structure?  How is that even
supposed to work?

Again, please get reviews from internal Intel developers FIRST as is
required by all Intel kernel developers touching code like this.  You
know this, it is part of your internal development rules, please do not
try to ignore them, that's a sure way to get everyone to just ignore
your changes going forward.

thanks,

greg k-h