Subject: Re: [PATCH AUTOSEL 6.0 52/77] net: sfp: re-implement soft state polling setup

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 08:21:09 +0100

On Sun, Oct 09, 2022 at 06:07:29PM -0400, Sasha Levin wrote:
> From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
> 
> [ Upstream commit 8475c4b70b040f9d8cbc308100f2c4d865f810b3 ]
> 
> Re-implement the decision making for soft state polling. Instead of
> generating the soft state mask in sfp_soft_start_poll() by looking at
> which GPIOs are available, record their availability in
> sfp_sm_mod_probe() in sfp->state_hw_mask.
> 
> This will then allow us to clear bits in sfp->state_hw_mask in module
> specific quirks when the hardware signals should not be used, thereby
> allowing us to switch to using the software state polling.

NAK.

There is absolutely no point in stable picking up this commit. On its
own, it doesn't do anything beneficial. It isn't a fix for anything.
It isn't stable material.

If you picked up the next two patches in the series, there would be a
point to it - introducing support for the HALNy GPON SFP module, but
as you didn't these three patches on their own are entirely pointless.

I don't see why "net: sfp: move Alcatel Lucent 3FE46541AA fixup" was
selected but not "net: sfp: move Huawei MA5671A fixup". I'm guessing
this is just another illustration why the "AI" you use to select
patches doesn't warrant "inteligence".

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 40Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!