Subject: Re: [PATCH net 0/5] macsec: offload-related fixes

From: Sabrina Dubroca <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 09:43:45 +0200

2022-10-14, 09:13:39 +0300, Leon Romanovsky wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2022 at 04:15:38PM +0200, Sabrina Dubroca wrote:
> > I'm working on a dummy offload for macsec on netdevsim. It just has a
> > small SecY and RXSC table so I can trigger failures easily on the
> > ndo_* side. It has exposed a couple of issues.
> > 
> > The first patch will cause some performance degradation, but in the
> > current state it's not possible to offload macsec to lower devices
> > that also support ipsec offload. 
> 
> Please don't, IPsec offload is available and undergoing review.
> https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/[email-masked]/
> 
> This is whole series (XFRM + driver) for IPsec full offload.
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/leon/linux-rdma.git/log/?h=xfrm-next

Yes, and that's not upstream yet. That patchset is also doing nothing
to address the issue I'm refering to here, where xfrm_api_check
rejects the macsec device because it has the NETIF_F_HW_ESP flag
(passed from the lower device) and no xfrmdev_ops.

OTOH the mlx5 driver has both macsec and ipsec offload already, so I
think it should be affected by this exact issue.

There are other feature flags that almost certainly shouldn't be
copied from the lower device, such as the TLS offload flags.

-- 
Sabrina