Subject: Re: [linux-next:master] BUILD SUCCESS WITH WARNING 76cf65d1377f733af1e2a55233e3353ffa577f54

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 09:21:07 +0100

On Mon, Oct 24, 2022 at 02:55:27PM -0700, Jakub Kicinski wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Oct 2022 00:58:57 +0800 kernel test robot wrote:
> > drivers/net/phy/phylink.c:588 phylink_validate_mask_caps() warn: variable dereferenced before check 'state' (see line 583)
> 
> Hi Russell, I think the warning is semi-legit. Your commit f392a1846489
> ("net: phylink: provide phylink_validate_mask_caps() helper") added an 
> if (state) before defer'ing state but it's already deref'ed higher up
> so can't be null.

Not me, Sean. My original implementation of phylink_validate_mask_caps()
doesn't know anything about rate matching, so my version didn't have
this issue.

Sean's version of my patch (which is what was submitted) added the
dereference that causes this, so, it's up to Sean to figure out a fix -
but he reading his follow up to the build bot's message, he seems to
be passing it over to me to fix!

I've got other issues to be worked on right now, and have no time to
spare to fix other people's mistakes. Sorry.

You can't always rely on the apparent author mentioned in the commit to
be the actual person responsible for the changes in a patch.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 40Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!