Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v1] ethtool: ethtool_get_drvinfo: populate drvinfo fields even if callback exits

From: Leon Romanovsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 19:20:51 +0200

On Thu, Nov 10, 2022 at 09:01:27AM -0800, Jakub Kicinski wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Nov 2022 11:11:38 +0200 Leon Romanovsky wrote:
> > I will be happy to see such patch and will review it, but can't add sign-off
> > as I'm not netdev maintainer.
> 
> Did we finish the version removal work? :S

Good point :)

> 
> Personally I'd rather direct any effort towards writing a checkpatch /
> cocci / python check that catches new cases than cleaning up the pile
> of drivers we have. A lot of which are not actively used..

I thought about this too, but came to conclusion what first step is to
remove "version" from in-kernel API. It will reduce drastically desire
to add driver version to new drivers.

"There is no shame in doing the right thing, even if its too late.".

BTW, I hope that we all learned that allowing drivers to return free
string to users will always lead to disaster.

Thanks