Subject: Re: [net-next 14/15] net/mlx5: SRIOV, Add 802.1ad VST support

From: Saeed Mahameed <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2022 21:20:54 -0800

On 06 Dec 20:34, Jakub Kicinski wrote:
>On Sat,  3 Dec 2022 14:13:36 -0800 Saeed Mahameed wrote:
>> diff --git a/drivers/net/ethernet/mellanox/mlx5/core/en_main.c b/drivers/net/ethernet/mellanox/mlx5/core/en_main.c
>> index 8d36e2de53a9..7911edefc622 100644
>> --- a/drivers/net/ethernet/mellanox/mlx5/core/en_main.c
>> +++ b/drivers/net/ethernet/mellanox/mlx5/core/en_main.c
>> @@ -4440,11 +4440,8 @@ static int mlx5e_set_vf_vlan(struct net_device *dev, int vf, u16 vlan, u8 qos,
>>  	struct mlx5e_priv *priv = netdev_priv(dev);
>>  	struct mlx5_core_dev *mdev = priv->mdev;
>>
>> -	if (vlan_proto != htons(ETH_P_8021Q))
>> -		return -EPROTONOSUPPORT;
>
>I can't take this with clear conscience :( I started nacking any new use
>of the legacy VF NDOs. You already have bridging offload implemented,
>why can bridging be used?
>

I really tried, many customers aren't ready to make this leap yet.

I understand your point, my goal is to move as many customers to use
upstream and step away from out of tree drivers, if it makes it any
easier you can look at this as filling a small gap in mlx5 which will
help me bring more users to the upstream driver, after all the feature
is already implemented in mlx5, this is just a small gap we previously
missed to upstream.