Subject: Re: [Intel-wired-lan] [PATCH] igc: Mask replay rollover/timeout errors in I225_LMVP

From: Leon Romanovsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2023 08:31:31 +0200

On Tue, Jan 03, 2023 at 07:16:58PM +0200, Leon Romanovsky wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 03, 2023 at 08:21:04AM -0600, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:

<...>

> > > > If a quirk like this is only needed when the driver is loaded, 
> > > 
> > > This is always the case with PCI devices managed through kernel, isn't it?
> > > Users don't care/aware about "broken" devices unless they start to use them.
> > 
> > Indeed, that's usually the case.  There's a lot of stuff in quirks.c
> > that could probably be in drivers instead.
> 
> NP, so or deprecate quirks.c and prohibit any change to that file or
> don't allow drivers to mangle PCI in their probe routines.
> Everything in-between will cause to enormous mess in long run.

Another thing to consider what if you go with "probe variant", users
will see behavioral differences between drivers and subsystems on
how to control these quirks.

As an example, see proposal in this thread to add ethtool private flag
to enable/disable quirk. In other places, it will be module parameter,
sysfs or special to that subsystem tool.

Thanks

> Thanks
> > Bjorn