Subject: Re: [PATCH] SUNRPC: Output oversized frag reclen as ASCII if printable

From: Chris Down <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2021 15:07:12 +0000

Hey Chuck,

Thanks for the (very) fast reply! :-)

Chuck Lever III writes:
>> This can be confusing for downstream users, who don't know what messages
>> like "fragment too large: 1195725856" actually mean, or that they
>> indicate some misconfigured infrastructure elsewhere.
>
>One wonders whether that error message is actually useful at all.
>We could, for example, turn this into a tracepoint, or just get
>rid of it.

Indeed, that's also a good outcome. Personally I've never seen these 
legitimately fire in production outside of cases like the one described, and we 
historically ran a pretty diverse set of use cases for NFS.

Maybe safer to convert to a tracepoint just in case? Either way sounds fine 
though -- let me know what you'd like for v2 and I'll send it over. :-)

Thanks!

Chris