Subject: Re: [RFC v1 PATCH 1/3] drivers: soc: add support for soc_device_match returning -EPROBE_DEFER

From: Dominique MARTINET <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 13:49:07 +0900

First comment overall for the whole serie:
Since it is the solution I had suggested when I reported the problem[1]
I have no qualm on the approach, comments for individual patches
follow.

[1] http://lore.kernel.org/r/YGGZJjAxA1IO+/[email-masked]

Alice Guo (OSS) wrote on Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 12:27:20PM +0800:
> From: Alice Guo <[email-masked]>
> 
> In i.MX8M boards, the registration of SoC device is later than caam
> driver which needs it. Caam driver needs soc_device_match to provide
> -EPROBE_DEFER when no SoC device is registered and no
> early_soc_dev_attr.

This patch should be last in the set: you can't have soc_device_match
return an error before its callers handle it.

> Signed-off-by: Alice Guo <[email-masked]>

As the one who reported the problem I would have been appreciated being
at least added to Ccs... I only happened to notice you posted this by
chance.

There is also not a single Fixes tag -- I believe this commit should
have Fixes: 7d981405d0fd ("soc: imx8m: change to use platform driver")
but I'm not sure how such tags should be handled in case of multiple
patches fixing something.

-- 
Dominique