Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: [PATCH net-next 0/4] MT7530 interrupt support

From: Andrew Lunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 18:34:45 +0200

> mhm, maybe the naming should differ if generic phy and net-phy are
> that different. i guess there is no way to merge the net phys to the
> generic phys (due to linking to the net device drivers) to have only
> 1 phy section, right?

phys and generic PHYs are very different things, completely different
API etc. They cannot be merged.

> but if phy- prefix is used by generic phys, maybe eth- or net- can be used here (maybe with "phy" added)
> 
> something like
> 
> eth-phy-mt753x.ko
> 
> else i have no idea now...my patch renaming the musb-module seems not
> to be accepted due to possible breakage

The usb module has been around for a long time, so it cannot be
changed. The phy driver is new, not in a released kernel. So we can
still rename it without causing problems.

I still want to understand the naming here. If you look at most
Ethernet switches with integrated PHYs, the PHYs have their own naming
scheme, separate from the switch, because they are independent IP. So
i would prefer this driver by named after the PHY name, not the switch
name. That might solve the naming conflict, mt123x for the PHY, mt7530
for the switch driver.

	Andrew