Subject: Re: Maintainers / Kernel Summit 2021 planning kick-off

From: "Theodore Ts'o" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 17:48:55 -0400

On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 12:29:52PM +0200, Jiri Kosina wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Apr 2021, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> 
> > This year, the Maintainers and Kernel Summit is currently planned to
> > be held in Dublin, Ireland, September 27 -- 29th.  
> 
> Given the fact that OSS is being relocated from Dublin to Washington [1], 
> is Kernel Summit following that direction?
> 
> [1] https://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/press-release/the-linux-foundation-announces-open-source-summit-embedded-linux-conference-2021-will-move-from-dublin-ireland-to-seattle-washington/

Apologies for the delay in responding; I wasiting for the LPC to post
its announcement that the LPC will be going 100% virtual:

   https://www.linuxplumbersconf.org/blog/2021/index.php/2021/04/30/linux-plumbers-goes-fully-virtual/

As the LPC planning committee stated,

   "Unfortunately, the safety protocols imposed by event venues in the
   US require masks and social distancing which make it impossible to
   hold the interactive part of Plumbers (the Microconferences)."

The Maintainer's Summit is even more interactive and discussion
focused than most of the Microconferences.  In addition, for the last
few years, the Kernel Summit is run as a track at the LPC.  As a
result, both the Maintainer's and Kernel Summit will be held virtually
this year, using the LPC infrastructure, and will not be colocated
with OSS to Seattle.  We'll make sure the dates (plus some buffer for
travel) won't overlap to avoid creating conflicts for those who are
planning to attend OSS in Seattle.

I know we're all really hungry for some in-person meetups and
discussions, but at least for LPC, Kernel Summit, and Maintainer's
Summit, we're going to have to wait for another year,

Cheers,

					- Ted