Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v1 7/7] usbnet: run unbind() before unregister_netdev()

From: Andrew Lunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2021 01:41:15 +0200

On Fri, Jun 04, 2021 at 03:42:44PM +0200, Oleksij Rempel wrote:
> unbind() is the proper place to disconnect PHY, but it will fail if
> netdev is already unregistered.

O.K, this partially answers the question i was about to ask for the
previous patch.

void phy_start(struct phy_device *phydev)
{
	mutex_lock(&phydev->lock);

	if (phydev->state != PHY_READY && phydev->state != PHY_HALTED) {
		WARN(1, "called from state %s\n",
		     phy_state_to_str(phydev->state));
		goto out;
	}

By skipping phy_error(), phydev->state is not set to PHY_HALTED. So if
you try to start the phy again, without disconnecting it, it looks
like there could be a problem.

But with this patch, i assume the PHY will always be disconnected and
later reconnected when the device is replugged.

      Andrew