Subject: Re: [RFC 0/4] open/accept directly into io_uring fixed file table

From: Josh Triplett <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2021 08:04:24 -0700

On Wed, Jul 07, 2021 at 07:07:52AM -0600, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On 7/7/21 5:39 AM, Pavel Begunkov wrote:
> > Implement an old idea allowing open/accept io_uring requests to register
> > a newly created file as a io_uring's fixed file instead of placing it
> > into a task's file table. The switching is encoded in io_uring's SQEs
> > by setting sqe->buf_index/file_index, so restricted to 2^16-1. Don't
> > think we need more, but may be a good idea to scrap u32 somewhere
> > instead.
> > 
> > From the net side only needs a function doing __sys_accept4_file()
> > but not installing fd, see 2/4.
> > 
> > Only RFC for now, the new functionality is tested only for open yet.
> > I hope we can remember the author of the idea to add attribution.
> 
> Pretty sure the original suggester of this as Josh, CC'ed.

Thanks for working on this, Pavel!

Original thread at
https://lore.kernel.org/io-uring/20200715004209.GA334456@localhost/T/ in
case that helps.