Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next] devlink: Require devlink lock during device reload

From: Ido Schimmel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2021 09:12:17 +0200

On Sun, Oct 31, 2021 at 07:35:56PM +0200, Leon Romanovsky wrote:
> From: Leon Romanovsky <[email-masked]>
> 
> Devlink reload was implemented as a special command which does _SET_
> operation, but doesn't take devlink->lock, while recursive devlink
> calls that were part of .reload_up()/.reload_down() sequence took it.
> 
> This fragile flow was possible due to holding a big devlink lock
> (devlink_mutex), which effectively stopped all devlink activities,
> even unrelated to reloaded devlink.
> 
> So let's make sure that devlink reload behaves as other commands and
> use special nested locking primitives with a depth of 1. Such change
> opens us to a venue of removing devlink_mutex completely, while keeping
> devlink locking complexity in devlink.c.

Jakub/Dave, I will be mostly unavailable until later this week, but I
have applied this patch to our queue and can report testing results
tomorrow. I would appreciate it if you could hold off on applying it
until then.

Thanks