Subject: Re: [PATCH v5 net-next 06/10] net: dsa: microchip: add support for phylink management

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 18:05:36 +0100

On Thu, Oct 28, 2021 at 10:11:07PM +0530, Prasanna Vengateshan wrote:
> Support for phylink_validate() and reused KSZ commmon API for
> phylink_mac_link_down() operation
> 
> lan937x_phylink_mac_config configures the interface using
> lan937x_mac_config and lan937x_phylink_mac_link_up configures
> the speed/duplex/flow control.
> 
> Currently SGMII & in-band neg are not supported & it will be
> added later.
> 
> Signed-off-by: Prasanna Vengateshan <[email-masked]>

Hi,

I've just sent "net: dsa: populate supported_interfaces member"
which adds a hook to allow DSA to populate the newly introduced
supported_interfaces member of phylink_config. Once this patch is
merged, it would be great to see any new drivers setting this
member.

Essentially, the phylink_get_interfaces method is called with the
DSA switch and port number, and a pointer to the supported_interfaces
member - which is a bitmap of PHY_INTERFACE_MODEs that are supported
by this port.

When you have set any bit in the supported interfaces, phylink's
behaviour when calling your lan937x_phylink_validate changes - it will
no longer call it with PHY_INTERFACE_MODE_NA, but will instead do a
bitwalk over the bitmap, and call it for each supported interface type
instead.

When phylink has a specific interface mode, it will continue to make a
single call - but only if the interface mode is indicated as supported
in the supported interfaces bitmap.

Please keep an eye on "net: dsa: populate supported_interfaces member"
and if you need to respin this series after that patch has been merged,
please update in regards of this.

Thanks.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 40Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!