Subject: Re: [PATCH] net/9p: autoload transport modules

From: Dominique Martinet <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2021 09:26:32 +0900

Thomas Weißschuh  wrote on Tue, Nov 02, 2021 at 11:33:25PM +0000:
> > aha, these two were indeed different from where my modprobe is so it is
> > a setup problem -- I might have been a little rash with this initrd
> > setup and modprobe ended up in /bin with path here in /sbin...
> >
> > Thanks for the pointer, I saw the code setup an environment with a
> > full-blown PATH so didn't think of checking if this kind of setting
> > existed!
> > All looks in order then :)
> 
> Does it also work for the split out FD transports?
> If so, I'll resend that patch in a proper form tomorrow.

Sorry haven't tested yet, I need to fiddle a bit to get a tcp server
setup right now and got a fscache bug I'd like fixed for this merge
window...

I've confirmed the module gets loaded but that's as far as I can get
right now... it calls p9_fd_create_tcp so it's probably quite ok :)

I'd also be tempted to add a new transport config option that defaults
to true/NET_9P value -- in my opinion the main advantage of splitting
this is not installing tcp/fd transport which can more easily be abused
than virtio for VMs who wouldn't need it (most of them), so having a
toggle would be handy.

Feel free to resend in a proper form though, I could make up a commit
message but it might as well be your words!

-- 
Dominique