Subject: Re: [PATCH] mwifiex: Add quirk to disable deep sleep with certain hardware revision

From: Brian Norris <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2021 10:21:01 -0700

On Wed, Nov 03, 2021 at 01:25:44PM +0100, Jonas Dreßler wrote:
> The issue only appeared for some community members using Surface devices,
> happening on the Surface Book 2 of one person, but not on the Surface Book
> 2 of another person. When investigating we were poking around in the dark
> for a long time and almost gave up until we found that those two devices
> had different hardware revisions of the same wifi card installed (ChipRev
> 20 vs 21).
> 
> So it seems pretty clear that with revision 21 they fixed some hardware
> bug that causes those spurious wakeups.

Seems reasonable, thanks for the thorough handling!

> FWIW, obviously a proper workaround for this would have to be implemented
> in the firmware.

Yeah, but you only get those if you're a paying customer apparently :(

I wonder if the original OEM got firmware fixes, but because they don't
use Linux, nobody bothered to roll those into the linux-firmware repo.

Brian