Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 1/3] net: phylink: add generic validate implementation

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2021 20:10:54 +0000

On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 08:54:27PM +0100, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> Hi Russell
> 
> > +	case PHY_INTERFACE_MODE_TBI:
> > +	case PHY_INTERFACE_MODE_MOCA:
> > +	case PHY_INTERFACE_MODE_RTBI:
> 
> For some reason, i think one of these can do 2.5G. But i cannot
> remember where i have seen this. Maybe b53?

I asked Florian about MoCA, who said "1G, and then the MoCA Ethernet
adaptation layer will do what it can" - I did trip over some
information that suggests that could do 2.5G.

However, none of the drivers I've converted make use of these, so if
these interface modes need other speeds added, it won't be a problem
just yet and can be addressed later.

I haven't addressed DSA yet - DSA drivers don't have the same signature
for their validate() implementations, so it is harder to have a generic
implementation there without more wrapping. It would also need changing
the phylink_get_interfaces method introduced last time around since DSA
drivers need to set both the supported_interfaces and mac_capabilities
members in phylink_config. So this rules out b53 conversion for the
moment, but it would be really nice to also have DSA drivers converted.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 40Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!