Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 00/12] remove msize limit in virtio transport

From: Dominique Martinet <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 20:07:20 +0900

Nikolay Kichukov wrote on Mon, Jan 24, 2022 at 11:21:08AM +0100:
> It works, sorry for overlooking the 'known limitations' in the first
> place. When do we expect these patches to be merged upstream?

We're just starting a new development cycle for 5.18 while 5.17 is
stabilizing, so this mostly depends on the ability to check if a msize
given in parameter is valid as described in the first "STILL TO DO"
point listed in the cover letter.

I personally would be happy considering this series for this cycle with
just a max msize of 4MB-8k and leave that further bump for later if
we're sure qemu will handle it.
We're still seeing a boost for that and the smaller buffers for small
messages will benefit all transport types, so that would get in in
roughly two months for 5.18-rc1, then another two months for 5.18 to
actually be released and start hitting production code.

I'm not sure when exactly but I'll run some tests with it as well and
redo a proper code review within the next few weeks, so we can get this
in -next for a little while before the merge window.

-- 
Dominique