Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 5/5] dt-bindings: net: xgmac_mdio: Add "clock-frequency" and "suppress-preamble"

From: Andrew Lunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 14:36:52 +0100

On Wed, Jan 26, 2022 at 11:14:32AM +0100, Tobias Waldekranz wrote:
> The driver now supports the standard "clock-frequency" and
> "suppress-preamble" properties, do document them in the binding
> description.
> 
> Signed-off-by: Tobias Waldekranz <[email-masked]>

Reviewed-by: Andrew Lunn <[email-masked]>

However, you could convert to yaml as well, if you wanted.

> +- clocks
> +		Usage: optional
> +		Value type: <phandle>
> +		Definition: A reference to the input clock of the controller
> +		from which the MDC frequency is derived.

That answers my question. However, in the presence of a
'clock-frequency' property it cannot be optional, so -ENODEV seems
reasonable if it is missing. Potentially you also need to handle
-EPROBE_DEFER, although it seems quiet unlikely for an internal SoC
clock.

	Andrew