Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v1 1/1] usbnet: add devlink support

From: Greg KH <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 12:13:53 +0100

On Thu, Jan 27, 2022 at 12:07:42PM +0100, Oleksij Rempel wrote:
> The weakest link of usbnet devices is the USB cable.

The weakest link of any USB device is the cable, why is this somehow
special to usbnet devices?

> Currently there is
> no way to automatically detect cable related issues except of analyzing
> kernel log, which would differ depending on the USB host controller.
> 
> The Ethernet packet counter could potentially show evidence of some USB
> related issues, but can be Ethernet related problem as well.
> 
> To provide generic way to detect USB issues or HW issues on different
> levels we need to make use of devlink.

Please make this generic to all USB devices, usbnet is not special here
at all.

NAK.

greg k-h