Subject: Re: [PATCH net v3] net: phy: intel-xway: enable integrated led functions

From: Andrew Lunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2022 02:01:31 +0100

> As a person responsible for boot firmware through kernel for a set of
> boards I continue to do the following to keep Linux from mucking with
> various PHY configurations:
> - remove PHY reset pins from Linux DT's to keep Linux from hard resetting PHY's
> - disabling PHY drivers
> 
> What are your thoughts about this?

Hi Tim

I don't like the idea that the bootloader is controlling the hardware,
not linux.

There are well defined ways for telling Linux how RGMII delays should
be set, and most PHY drivers do this. Any which don't should be
extended to actually set the delay as configured.

LEDs are trickier. There is a slow on going effort to allow PHY LEDs
to be configured as standard Linux LEDs. That should result in a DT
binding which can be used to configure LEDs from DT.

You probably are going to have more and more issues if you think the
bootloader is controlling the hardware, so you really should stop
trying to do that.

       Andrew