Subject: [PATCH RFC net-next 0/7] net: dsa: mt7530: updates for phylink changes

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2022 17:30:31 +0000

Hi,

This series is a partial conversion of the mt7530 DSA driver to the
modern phylink infrastructure. This driver has some exceptional cases
which prevent - at the moment - its full conversion (particularly with
the Autoneg bit) to using phylink_generic_validate().

What stands in the way is this if() condition in
mt753x_phylink_validate():

	if (state->interface != PHY_INTERFACE_MODE_TRGMII ||
	    !phy_interface_mode_is_8023z(state->interface)) {

reduces to being always true. I highlight this here for the attention
of the driver maintainers.

Patch 1 populates the supported_interfaces for each port

Patch 2 removes the interface checks that become unnecessary as a result
of patch 1.

Patch 3 removes use of phylink_helper_basex_speed() which is no longer
required by phylink.

Patch 4 becomes possible after patch 3, only indicating the ethtool
modes that can be supported with a particular interface mode - this
involves removing some modes and adding others as per phylink
documentation.

Patch 5 continues patch 4, as RGMII can support 1000base-X ethtool link
mode with an appropriate external PHY.

Patch 6 switches the driver to use phylink_get_linkmodes(), which moves
the driver as close as we can to phylink_generic_validate() due to the
Autoneg bit issue mentioned above.

Patch 7 marks the driver as non-legacy.

 drivers/net/dsa/mt7530.c | 166 ++++++++++++++++-------------------------------
 drivers/net/dsa/mt7530.h |   5 +-
 2 files changed, 58 insertions(+), 113 deletions(-)

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 40Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!