Subject: Re: [PATCH] net/smc: Add autocork support

From: Hendrik Brueckner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2022 19:15:54 +0100

On Thu, Feb 17, 2022 at 09:22:00PM +0800, dust.li wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 17, 2022 at 10:37:28AM +0100, Stefan Raspl wrote:
> >On 2/16/22 16:27, dust.li wrote:
> >> On Wed, Feb 16, 2022 at 02:58:32PM +0100, Stefan Raspl wrote:
> >> > On 2/16/22 04:49, Dust Li wrote:
> >> >
> 
> >Now we understand that cloud workloads are a bit different, and the desire to
> >be able to modify the environment of a container while leaving the container
> >image unmodified is understandable. But then again, enabling the base image
> >would be the cloud way to address this. The question to us is: How do other
> >parts of the kernel address this?
> 
> I'm not familiar with K8S, but from one of my colleague who has worked
> in that area tells me for resources like CPU/MEM and configurations
> like sysctl, can be set using K8S configuration:
> https://kubernetes.io/docs/tasks/administer-cluster/sysctl-cluster/

For K8s, this involves container engines like cri-o, containerd, podman,
and others towards the runtimes like runc.  To ensure they operate together,
specifications by the Open Container Initiative (OCI) at
https://opencontainers.org/release-notices/overview/

For container/pod deployments, there is especially the Container Runtime
Interface (CRI) that defines the interface, e.g., of K8s to cri-o etc.

CRI includes support for (namespaced) sysctl's:
https://github.com/opencontainers/runtime-spec/releases/tag/v1.0.2

In essence, the CRI spec would allow users to specify/control a specific
runtime for the container in a declarative way w/o modifying the (base)
container images.

Thanks and kind regards,
  Hendrik