Subject: Re: [PATCH CFT net-next 0/6] net: dsa: qca8k: convert to phylink_pcs and mark as non-legacy

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 15:27:41 +0000

On Tue, Feb 08, 2022 at 04:18:28PM +0100, Ansuel Smith wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 08, 2022 at 03:11:30PM +0000, Russell King (Oracle) wrote:
> > This series adds support into DSA for the mac_select_pcs method, and
> > converts qca8k to make use of this, eventually marking qca8k as non-
> > legacy.
> > 
> > Patch 1 adds DSA support for mac_select_pcs.
> 
> Was thinking... Is it possible to limit the polling just to sgmii/basex?
> Would save some overhead in the case fixed-rate is set and the link
> never change.

With this series, the decision to poll comes from the PCS "poll" member
when in inband mode. The PCS is selected by the mac_select_pcs
callback, which for this DSA device, will only be returned for SGMII or
1000BASE-X. Consequently, phylink will only poll the PCS if we are in
SGMII or 1000BASE-X mode.

Note that this polling has only be done if we're in inband mode and the
PCS requires polling, or in fixed-link mode if we have an IRQ-less GPIO
for link# state, or if poll_fixed_state is set in phylink_config.

PS, if you would like to ensure you're copied on patches to qca8k,
please add an entry in MAINTAINERS for this driver - I had to dig
through git history to try and work out who was maintaining this
driver. Thanks.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 40Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!