Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 1/6] net: dsa: sja1105: populate supported_interfaces

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 12:08:02 +0000

On Fri, Feb 25, 2022 at 01:58:58PM +0200, Vladimir Oltean wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 25, 2022 at 11:56:02AM +0000, Russell King (Oracle) wrote:
> > Populate the supported interfaces bitmap for the SJA1105 DSA switch.
> > 
> > This switch only supports a static model of configuration, so we
> > restrict the interface modes to the configured setting.
> > 
> > Reviewed-by: Vladimir Oltean <[email-masked]>                                Signed-off-by: Russell King (Oracle) <[email-masked]>
> 
> These all appear on the same line, can you please fix and resend?

I hate vi/vim precisely because of this.

How this problem happens. I read the email in mutt under KDE's kconsole
with your attributation. I select the attributation so it can be pasted.
I edit the commit, which starts vi, move to the line containing my
sign-off, hit 'i' and paste it in.

The result is a line that _looks_ in vi as being entirely correct. The
next line follows on as if it is a separate line.

I save the commit message. When I look at it in "git log", again,
everything looks good.

The only times that it can be identified is after sending and looking
at it in mutt, and noticing that the Signed-off-by line appears to have
a# '+' prefix, indicating that mutt wrapped the line - or after it gets
merged into net-next when linux-next identifies the lack of s-o-b, by
which time it's too late to fix.

How do others avoid this problem? Not use vi/vim, but use some other
editor such as emacs or microemacs that doesn't have this crazy way of
dealing with multiple lines?

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 40Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!