Subject: Re: Further phylink changes (was: [PATCH net-next 1/4] net: dsa: ocelot: populate supported_interfaces)

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 18:11:44 +0000

On Fri, Feb 25, 2022 at 06:57:33PM +0100, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> > ... changing the subject line to show we've drifted off topic ...
> > 
> > Yes, once we've worked out what the PCS interface should look like in
> > order to deal with the 88E6393 errata workaround that needs to be run
> > each time the interface changes or whenever we "power up" the PCS.
> 
> Hi Russell
> 
> The erratas are not limited to 6393. For the 6390 there is an errata
> where you need to "power up" the PCS before you change cmode,
> otherwise TX works, but RX just drops frames rather than pass them to
> the MAC.
> 
> I've not looked at the details of your proposal, and maybe it is a
> none issue, i just wanted to make sure you are aware of this.

Thanks - Marek has been keeping me on the straight and narrow with
these issues, but it's good to know that it's not necessary for the
other Marvell variants. That's been at the back of my mind a bit as
we're getting closer to the point that we need to sort this out.

I should also mention - once the mt7530 and mv88e6xxx drivers are
sorted, I believe we will then be in a position to kill off all the
"legacy_pre_march2020" stuff in DSA since DSA will no longer need the
legacy phylink behaviour.

Sadly, though, that doesn't mean "legacy_pre_march2020" can be removed,
we still have mtk_eth_soc reliant on the old behaviour.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 40Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!