Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 1/8] dt-bindings: pinctrl: mvebu: Document bindings for AC5

From: Rob Herring <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 13:34:22 -0500

On Tue, Mar 15, 2022 at 01:27:48AM +0100, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> > I think it can. I vaguely remember seeing conditional clauses based on 
> > compatible strings in other yaml bindings.
> > 
> > I started a new binding document because I expected adding significant 
> > additions to the existing .txt files would be rejected. If I get some 
> > cycles I could look at converting the existing docs from txt to yaml.
> > 
> > I'm not sure that there will be much in the way of a common 
> > mvebu-pinctrl.yaml as you'd end up repeating most of the common stuff to 
> > make things conditional anyway.
> 
> We should wait for Rob to comment. But is suspect you are right, there
> will not be much savings.

It's always a judgement call of amount of if/then schema vs. duplicating 
the common parts. If it's the function/pin parts that vary, then that's 
probably best as separate schema for each case. Otherwise, I'm not sure 
without seeing something.

Rob