Subject: [PATCH RFC 00/12] mtk_eth_soc phylink updates

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2022 15:34:28 +0100

Hi,

This series ultimately updates mtk_eth_soc to use phylink_pcs, with some
fixes along the way.

Previous attempts to update this driver (which is now marked as legacy)
have failed due to lack of testing. I am hoping that this time will be
different; Marek can test RGMII modes, but not SGMII. So all that we
know is that this patch series probably doesn't break RGMII.

1) remove unused mac_mode and sgmii flags members from structures.
2) remove unnecessary interpretation of speed when configuring 1000
   and 2500 Base-X
3) move configuration of SGMII duplex setting from mac_config() to
   link_up()
4) only pass in interface mode to mtk_sgmii_setup_mode_force()
5) move decision about which mtk_sgmii_setup_mode_*() function to call
   into mtk_sgmii.c
6) add a fixme comment for RGMII explaning why the call to
   mtk_gmac0_rgmii_adjust() is completely wrong - this needs to be
   addressed by someone who has the hardware and can test an appropriate
   fix. This fixme means that the driver still can't become non-legacy.
7) move gmac setup from mac_config() to mac_finish() - this preserves
   the order that we write to the hardware when we eventually convert to
   phylink_pcs()
8) move configuration of syscfg0 in SGMII/802.3z mode to mac_finish()
   for the same reasons as (7).
9) convert mtk_sgmii.c code structure and the mtk_sgmii structure to
   suit conversion to phylink_pcs
10) finally convert to phylink_pcs

It would be nice to get these changes fully tested, but past experience
has shown that for this driver, that's unfortunately very unlikely. So,
I propose that the merging plan for this is that if there are no
comments after three weeks to a month, I'll send this for inclusion in
net-next.

 drivers/net/ethernet/mediatek/mtk_eth_soc.c | 103 +++++++++-------
 drivers/net/ethernet/mediatek/mtk_eth_soc.h |  40 +++----
 drivers/net/ethernet/mediatek/mtk_sgmii.c   | 174 ++++++++++++++++------------
 3 files changed, 185 insertions(+), 132 deletions(-)

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 40Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!