Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 3/3] ARM: dts: imx6qdl-sr-som: update phy configuration for som revision 1.9

From: "Russell King (Oracle)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 15:20:26 +0100

On Thu, Apr 21, 2022 at 03:30:38PM +0200, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> > The only other ways around this that I can see would be to have some
> > way to flag in DT that the PHYs are "optional" - if they're not found
> > while probing the hardware, then don't whinge about them. Or have
> > u-boot discover which address the PHY is located, and update the DT
> > blob passed to the kernel to disable the PHY addresses that aren't
> > present. Or edit the DT to update the node name and reg property. Or
> > something along those lines.
> 
> uboot sounds like the best option. I don't know if we currently
> support the status property for PHYs. Maybe the .dtsi file should have
> them all status = "disabled"; and uboot can flip the populated ones to
> "okay". Or maybe the other way around to handle older bootloaders.

... which would immediately regress the networking on all SolidRun iMX6
platforms when booting "new" DT with existing u-boot, so clearly that
isn't a possible solution.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTP is here! 40Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!