Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next] net: phy: micrel: Adding LED feature for LAN8814 PHY

From: Andrew Lunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2022 19:01:10 +0200

On Wed, Jun 29, 2022 at 02:44:15PM +0100, Russell King (Oracle) wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 28, 2022 at 04:33:53PM +0200, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 28, 2022 at 11:19:25AM +0530, Divya Koppera wrote:
> > > LED support for extended mode where
> > > LED 1: Enhanced Mode 5 (10M/1000M/Activity)
> > > LED 2: Enhanced Mode 4 (100M/1000M/Activity)
> > > 
> > > By default it supports KSZ9031 LED mode
> > 
> > You need to update the binding documentation.
> 
> What happened to "use the LEDs interface, don't invent private bindings
> for PHY LEDs" ?
> 
> Does this mean the private bindings are now acceptable and I can
> resubmit my 88x3310 LED support code?

I hummed and harded about this case. The binding is there, documented
and in use. It comes from the times before we started pushing back on
vendor LED configuration methods. All this patch does is extend the
existing binding to another device of the same family. It seemed
unfair to reject it. The mess of a vendor proprietary binding exists,
and this does not make it worse.

For 88x3310 there is no president set, it should be done via Linux
LEDs.

	Andrew